In the face of the Covid pandemic, the Wealden Dementia Action Alliance is continuing to work to make Wealden more dementia friendly
The many local groups, organisations and businesses involved in the Wealden dementia initiative will be using National Dementia Action Week, 17-23 May, to re-connect with its friends who have been having to self-isolate.
“With lives at last beginning to return to normal we want to reach out to those people living with dementia in our communities,” said Councillor Philip Lunn, Community and Public Health Portfolio Holder for Conservative-run Wealden District Council. “For many of them, the past months will have been confusing and frustrating. Even frightening. For their carers, it has meant additional worries and responsibilities.
“I hope the WDAA’s goody bag initiative is a reminder that things are getting better. We are asking carers and family to pick up a lucky bag for someone living with dementia. Through this gift, we can start to renew the companionship and support created by the dementia-friendly activities and the local Dementia Forums", added the Conservative councillor and Cabinet member at Wealden.
WDAA has organised 120 free goody bags full to the brim of amazing donations from a number of partners. These include an afternoon tea, seeds, pens, beach ball, bags, hand creams, tea bags, knitting, biscuits and lots of activities to do at home.
They will be available at various collection points across the District on a first come, first served basis. If you are unable to get to a collection point, please email email@example.com
“It is great to be supporting Dementia Action Week in this way,” added Councillor Lunn. “I would like to thank our local partners, whose generous donations have made this possible.
"Let’s hope over the coming year we will be able to enjoy the many activities and events that normally take place.”
The Wealden Dementia Action Alliance hopes to begin regular activities again in September. These include cafes, film screenings and sporting memories. To find out more please get in touch via the WDAA Facebook page, @WealdenDAA.
Goody Bag Collection points:
• Hart Reade Solicitors 55 High Street, Polegate, BN26 6AL – Monday to Friday between 9am and 1pm
• Hart Reade Solicitors, Old Manor House, Market Street, Hailsham, BN27 2AE – anytime Monday to Friday
• Sussex Community Development Association (opposite Tesco) Monday & Tuesday 9am till 5pm or Wednesday and Thursday by appointment only, call 01323 440548
• Freedom Leisure Hailsham – anytime during opening hours
• Crowborough Town Council – Monday to Thursday 9am till 5pm and Friday 9am till 4.30pm
• Rotherfield St Martin, The Memorial Institute, North Street, Rotherfield, TN6 3LX Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm
• Oasis Community Church – Monday 17th May between 10am and 2pm only
• Crowborough Community Centre, Pine Grove, TN6 1FE between 10am and 12pm
• Town Council offices, Civic Centre – Monday to Thursday 9am – 5pm, Friday 9am – 4pm
To keep up to date with the latest news and events from the WDAA follow their Facebook page @WealdenDAA.